Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Because We Want To

We had a lesson Sunday and part of it had to do with changing our hearts from being obedient out of duty and being obedient because it is who we are in our hearts (Sunday July 20, 2008 - Services Sullivan Hollow Se...).

I was listening some Ensign articles on the way into work and happened across one in the June issue (The Exquisite Joy of Repentance). There is a line in there that states, "Many years ago I paid my tithing because I felt I had to. Now I realize I can pay it with a heart full of gratitude and with the excitement that comes from knowing that the funds will help build churches and temples."

Will we be blessed for doing it out of duty? I believe we will, even if it is a little begrudgingly. But will will not have a fullness of joy that comes from putting your whole heart into it and doing it out of love for Heavenly Father and love for those we serve.

No comments: