Sunday, May 15, 2011

Distracted

I am increasingly seeing a trend within myself where at times I am distracted and get little out of my church services at times unless the speaker or teacher really grabs me something.

One week I was completely preoccupied with something stupid I had said in priesthood opening.  It consumed me the rest of the morning at church and somewhat into the afternoon at home.

Today I was excited about my son getting the priesthood and being ordained a deacon.  I was also nervous about being the one to ordain him.  I was hoping to do it in quorum meeting, which in our ward is first, but I found out he had to be sustained by the congregation first.  Then I was sad that he wouldn't get to pass the sacrament, which he has been bugging me to do since at least the beginning of the year.

The good news is that there is a temple trip scheduled for Tuesday night.  He has been looking forward to doing baptisms with me.

So between the thought of doing baptisms this week, of ordaining him after church, and the fact that we just got back from vacation at 9PM last night, my head was buzzing.  I heard and absorbed many things that were said in Elders Quorum and Sunday school, even though my notes were not very good, but by the time sacrament service rolled around I was zoned out.  The excitement was exhausting me.

I don't know if I need to prepare better before church or if I to do some exercises to better control my concentration, but very frequently I find that my notes are lacking due to having spaced out for periods of time.

No comments: